How do I care for my jewelry?
Here are some general instructions for caring for your silver Offerings Jewelry:
Caring for Your Offerings Jewelry Collection:
- It is best to avoid chemical dips altogether. While some stones can withstand dipping, many cannot.
- When we polish our silver jewelry, we use a jeweler’s polishing cloth, a soft cloth treated with ingredients that clean silver easily with no harmful effects to the jewelry. It is easy to use and lasts for a long time.
- In a pinch you can use regular toothpaste on silver! Apply a tiny amount of toothpaste to the silver with a soft toothbrush, rinse well, and pat dry gently and thoroughly. (Avoid rinsing bone pieces with water if possible.)
- For cleaning bone faces, simply use a small amount of rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide with a cotton Q-tip, rinse and pat dry.
- When storing your jewelry, try to avoid light and air. The natural patina of age is one of the beautiful aspects of jewelry - polishing the surface, while allowing natural oxidation over time can add depth, dimension, and beauty to your collection.
How do I care for vermeil?
The vermeil from Offerings is a thin coating of 18K or 22K gold over sterling silver. Although less durable than gold-filled, vermeil is more durable than gold plating. To care for your vermeil jewelry, never machine polish or use any chemicals such as silver or gold cleaner. Care should be taken to avoid vigorous polishing. A polishing cloth may even be too rough and cause scratches. Oxidation of the sterling silver underneath is possible, so store your vermeil jewelry in a zip-lock bag to avoid scratches. We're told by Marianna that in Bali cotton balls are used to gently clean the vermeil jewelry and we've found they work excellently! With proper care, your vermeil jewelry will last for years.